Portion of Route 42 Will Be Shut Down the Next Two Nights
If you travel the Route 42 freeway, we have an important traffic alert to share with you. It's a good time to start planning an alternate route as construction crews prepare to close down the frequented South Jersey roadway for the next two nights.
The closure will be due to the eight year, near-billion dollar reconstruction project of the I-295, Route 42 and I-76 interchanges, nbcphiladelphia.com reports, which will eventually connect all three highways.
What to Expect:
- Northbound lanes of Route 42 in Bellmawr will be shut down at 11 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday.
- The road will be reopened by 5 a.m. after each closure.
- Crews will be replacing wood sheeting on new bridge beams near the Creek Road overpass, say Camden County officials.
- Lane closures will be done in segments with the one lane being shut down at 8 p.m., two lanes at 10 p.m. and then all lanes at 11 p.m.
- Drivers will be diverted off Route 42 and onto 295-N and directed to Exit 27. Once off the highway, drivers will be led back to Route 42-N.
- The southbound lanes of the highway will remain open.
County officials are warning drivers to be aware of the detours and to expect delays.