CDC Warns to See a Doctor if You Drank Raw Milk from Udder Milk
After a warning issued by the CDC, federal officials urge anyone who's had raw milk by Udder Milk within the last six months to see a doctor as soon as possible.
It all started, after a woman in North Jersey came down with Brucella RB51 after drinking raw milk from Udder Milk last September. Brucella RB51 is a rare but serious germ that can be consumed when drinking raw milk. Since the incident, the New Jersey Department of Health has ordered Udder Milk to stop selling in the state.
While the woman is doing OK, Brucella RB51 can be harmful causing severe illness especially in people with weak immune systems, and pregnant women.
Even worse, symptoms may not appear for up to six months. These symptoms include:
- muscle pain
- swelling of the testicles
NJ.com says if untreated, Brucella RB51 can cause health problems such as arthritis, heart problems, enlargement of the spleen or liver, and meningitis (in extreme cases).
On consuming raw milk, here's what New Jersey State's epidemiologist Dr. Tina Tan had to say on NJ.com:
"People should know that, in general, unpasteurized milk may contain dangerous bacteria and those who have become ill after consuming raw milk products should immediately consult a medical professional"
There you have it. If you have consumed raw milk, it's advised to see a medical professional as soon as you can especially if you're experiencing signs of fever or the symptoms above. Additionally, and especially if you've had milk by Udder Milk.