10 Films That Didn’t Win Best Picture Oscar [VIDEO]
This Sunday, the movie world will hand out its highest honors during the 84th Annual Academy Awards ceremony. We're recognizing ten of the best films to never win Best Picture.
1. Saving Private Ryan--It's difficult to imagine one of the greatest war movies losing to a fluff piece like Shakespeare In Love. But even though Steven Spielberg won the 1998 Best Director Academy Award for Ryan, it was a rare year when Best Director and Best Picture categories were a split win.
2. The Wizard of Oz--Ok, it was a tough year. Even one of the most beloved films of all time couldn't best Gone With The Wind in 1939.
3. Star Wars--The cult classic lost to Woody Allen's Annie Hall in 1977.
4. Brokeback Mountain--In 2005, the film Crash stunned as Best Picture winner over Ang Lee's haunting masterpiece love story starring Heath Ledger.
5. Citizen Kane--The 1941 film based on the life of William Randolph Hearst earned an Academy Award for Best Screenplay but lost to How Green Was My Valley. Remember that one? No one does. But 'rosebud' and Orson Wells? Timeless.
6. The Shawshank Redemption--In 1994, Forrest Gump was unbeatable even by this fan favorite. Despite seven nominations that year including Best Picture, Shawshank failed to win a single one.
7. Fargo--This 1994 Cohen Brothers masterpiece about what can happen when a simple extortion plan goes awry lost out to the sob-fest The English Patient.
8. E.T.--The Extra-terrestrial--Another snub for Steven Spielberg in 1983. That year the skinny alien lost to the skinny Indian Gandhi.
9. Psycho--A crown jewel of a horror film from Alfred Hitchcock failed to deliver Oscar gold for the prolific director.
10. Goodfellas--The 1990 Academy Award for Best Picture went to Kevin Costner and a pack of wolves instead of a pack of crime bosses. Dances With Wolves took the big prize.