Westfield, NJ School Teacher Overdoses on Fentanyl in Front of Students
Students at a New Jersey middle school were subject to an unexpected and scary lesson after witnessing a teacher who had overdosed, requiring life-saving efforts.
57-year-old Frank Thompson, an educator at Roosevelt Intermediate School in Westfield, N.J., collapsed last Thursday morning inside a classroom where he was discovered unconscious by students, People.com reports.
The children went for help and a school resource officer used quick thinking to administer the overdose-reversal medicine Narcan.
Thompson, an art/visual arts teacher, survived the incident. Authorities determined he had overdosed on Fentanyl.
Police reportedly found a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia" in Thompson's classroom closet, according to People.com.
Thompson now faces multiple criminal charges, including possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and endangering the welfare of children. He's due in court on February 1.
Those kids that found Thompson must have been so scared but they deserve all the praise in the world for realizing right away they needed to go get help.