Happy Left Handers Day! 5 Reasons Why Being Left is Right
Happy Left Handers to my fellow lefties! Lefties have to stick together in this right-handed world. Approximately 10% of the population are southpaws. Scientists don’t know why a person will be left-handed, but it’s more likely a child will be left-handed if one parent is. Parents of left-handed children used to force them to use their right hands. Left-handedness was considered evil and parents feared their communities would shun their children.
I went looking for five random factoids about being left handed that we could celebrate today on Left Handers Day, but what I found is a list as weird as left handers are made to feel in the right is right world. Anyway, here's my list....
- Michelangelo, Leonardo de Vinci, Oprah Winfrey, Lady Gaga and eight United States presidents were left-handed, including Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
- Throughout history, left-handedness was used to single people out for being unclean, or even witches. Satan was sometimes described as being a lefty, according to lefthandersday.com.
- Supposedly, left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater. I tried to prove this theory once but couldn't see my left hand in front of my face.
- Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers.
- Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right.There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left-handed. Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child, like King of England George VI).
What an odd list of lefty facts, huh? It was probably originally written by some overly judgmental right-hander.
Don't let it worry you, lefties, August 13 is our day! Go out and celebrate! Buy yourself some left-handed scissors or make a right-handed friend buy you a drink. Just tell them you have a special relationship with several unclean witches and Satan.