Council Member Confirms Atlantic City Shooting Near City Hall
An Atlantic City Council Member has just confirmed to us that there has been a shooting near Atlantic City Hall.
The Council Member is acquiring more details and will be reporting more information to us as it becomes available.
The shooting victim went inside City Hall after being shot.
As we file this update, the shooting victim is being attended to inside City Hall.
UPDATE 8/31/22 - 6:30 p.m
We have now confirmed some additional important and specific information.
We can now confirm the following facts:
- Shot spotter alert came-in at 1:48 p.m. today, Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
- We have confirmed that the shooting took place at South Carolina and Baltic Avenues.
- Two 38 caliber casings were found at the scene. At 140 North South Carolina Avenue.
- This is within close proximity of last Wednesday’s shooting in the same neighborhood.
- The shooting resulted in what is believed to be a non-life-threatening abdomen wound.
- The shooter is described as a heavyset African-American female.
- The alleged shooter was seen leaving the scene in a gray, four-door Nissan automobile, in the passenger front seat.
- The driver this automobile is believed to be an African-American male.
- The vehicle was last seen heading West on Baltic Avenue.
The Atlantic City Police Department violent crimes unit is handling the investigation.
Finally, Atlantic City Mayor Marty Small made a public comment earlier today that the shooting took place on Tennessee and Atlantic Avenues. Small’s public statement is inaccurate.
Small is the director of public safety.
UPDATE 8/31/22 - 4:15 p.m.
We have confirmed that the shooter is a female.
It has been reported to us that the apparent shooter was face down in the Atlantic City Hall Courtyard, under Atlantic City Police attention according to one of the Atlantic City Council Members. These City Council reports have not been confirmed at this time by law enforcement. (NOTE UPDATE ABOVE: The City Council Member report about the shooter being apprehended in the City Hall Courtyard is not accurate).
A second Atlantic City Council Member has reported to us that the alleged shooter is an Atlantic City employee. This is presently not confirmed.
We asked City Council sources to provide us with how many shootings have there been during the month of August 2022.
Our sources stated that they believe that there have been 12 shootings in Atlantic City during August 2022, but said they could not confirm the exact number because these statistics are not provided to them.
I asked if they are going to request them. Our sources confirmed that they will be requesting shooting statistics to be disclosed to them on a regular basis going forward.
This is a developing story. Updates as warranted.
SOURCES: Multiple Members of the Atlantic City Council.