Worst Dish At Thanksgiving
My Nana, God rest her soul, used to bring this to our Thanksgiving table every year, and I was told be be polite and "just eat it".
Tomato Aspic. Just awful.
Tomato Aspic is a tomato juice and vegetable gelatin side dish. It's even less appetizing than it sounds; however, from what I experienced, it is a staple in the south (Georgia) where my family is from.
Here is one version of the recipe if you happen to have dinner guests you really hate. There really is no end to the terrible combination of things you can dump into it, to make it your own. The worst I've seen is a 'chicken and boiled egg' aspic (gagging).
The Saucy Southerner has a pretty standard version of what my southern Nana used to make.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2½ green pepper, diced
- 2½ cups celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 packages unflavored gelatin, or you can use lemon gelatin
- ⅔ cups water
- Place all the ingredients - except the gelatin - into heavy sauce pan.
- Heat just to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Dissolve gelatin in water and stir into the contents of the sauce pan.
- Pour into a jello mold.
- Try not to vomit.
- Refrigerate until set, usually overnight.