Pleasantville Named ‘Most Boring’ Town in NJ
Real estate site Movoto has named a South Jersey town the most boring in the entire state!
Pleasantville ranked as the number one most boring town in NJ. Here’s the formula they used to determine which towns are snoozers.
First, they made a list of the 50 most populated places in the state. Then, they collected data from the 2010 U.S. Census (2010) and business listings in these eight criteria:
- Nightlife per capita (bars, clubs, comedy, etc.)
- Live music venues per capita
- Active life options per capita (parks, outdoor activities, etc.)
- Arts and Entertainment per capita (movie theaters, festivals, galleries, etc.)
- Fast Food restaurants per capita (the fewer the better)
- Percentage of restaurants that are not fast food (the higher the better)
- Percentage of young residents ages 18 to 34 (the higher the better)
- Population density (the higher the better)
The author of the article had this to say about Pleasantville:
This is one of the smaller spots we looked at, and in this case, small town relaxation meant big time boredom. Pleasantville had terrible scores in non-fast food restaurants, population density, and even arts. The scores in active life options, music venues, and nightlife also ranked very poorly.
Sure, this place is pleasant, as the name suggests. It’s quiet, peaceful, and friendly. But if you’re looking to go out at night, indulge in some culture, or get active, you’ve definitely got to go to more exciting places nearby.
Bridgeton was tied at number 5 in the top 10.
If you want a young community to call home, this place is perfect for you. Unless, of course, you also want any sort of excitement.
Despite ranking fourth in young population, with almost a third of the population being between the ages of 18 and 34, Bridgeton still had some truly dismal scores.
Though it’s got a couple of pretty cool taverns, the nightlife here ranked very poorly, as did the music venue options. There were also a ton of boring fast food restaurants in the area and few interesting arts options.
Speaking of the top 10, here’s how the state measured up according to Movoto.
1. City of Pleasantville
2. Borough of Carteret
3. City of East Orange
4. Borough of Hawthorne
5. City of Bridgeton
5. Township of Toms River
7. City of Perth Amboy
8. Borough of South Plainfield
9. Borough of Roselle
10. Borough of Elmwood Park
Included in their list of 50:
11-Vineland, 13-Millville, 47-Atlantic City (!)