What I Learned After Using Lemons as Deodorant for a Week
I've heard once before that lemons are a great substitute for deodorant if you're in a rush, or (let's be honest) you ran out. So, I decided to put it to the test for a week.
One of the many things I have inherited from my father is his profuse sweating and BO, While I wish I inherited his punctuality, my armpits have ALWAYS been an issue for me. I have tried EVERYTHING -- extra strength, antiperspirant, the works.
For a while, I ended up just using a hot wet towel (no soap) to clean under my arms because I read that works just as well. So when my friend, who is of Mexican heritage, told me her family uses just lemons, I thought...
...why the hell not?!
Here's what I learned after a week:
- Turns out, lemons are a great deodorant substitute
- Turns out, they are NOT great antiperspirants. If you're sweaty, don't use it
- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use lemons if you just shaved because ouch
- I preferred to slice the lemon, it's less messy
- I felt really fresh and nice all week!
- At the gym, my underarms were nice and fresh WITHOUT deodorant build up
My rating of lemons as deodorant in a gif:
I definitely will recommend using lemons if you're looking for an all natural way to keep your underarms smelling nice. But if you do tend to sweat, keep in mind lemons aren't antiperspirants.
Try it out! Let me know how it goes for you.
More from SoJO 104.9: