Nine Ways to Wake Up Without Drinking Coffee
After two years of waking up before the butt crack of dawn, I have found myself heavily relying on coffee in the wee hour of 4am. My coffee addiction has getting worse too.
In a recent blog I read on reddit, here are nine tricks people use to get out of bed, STAY out of bed, AND wake up . . . WITHOUT using caffeine.
1. Immediately drink a glass of water.
2. Put your feet on the ground as soon as you hear the alarm.
3. Immediately get into the shower . . . especially a cold shower.
4. Put the alarm clock on the other side of the room, so you have to get up to turn it off.
5. Don't do anything else in bed other than sleep. If you get used to eating, watching TV, or reading in bed, your brain associates your bed with something other than sleep. And that'll make it harder to get up in the morning. (I find this tip disturbing by the way)
6. Plan your breakfast the night before . . . and make sure it's something you like. When you wake up, you'll be hungry and happy about eating.
7. Eat an apple. It can work better than caffeine. We're not sure why, but trust me . . . try it and you'll see.
8. Do four or five minutes of basic exercise . . . like stretching and jumping.
9. Change the song or sound from your alarm clock regularly so you never get used to it.
There you go. I'll try some these this week, but don't be surprised if I get back to the coffee.