New Website Aims to Boost Camden’s Image
A new campaign is seeking your pleasant comments about the New Jersey city that’s ended up on the list of most dangerous cities in American more than once. Can you ‘Say Something Nice About Camden’? I can!
Famed poet Walt Whitman saw the river city as “a city invincible”. Camden indeed has a rich legacy on which its foundation is laid. SaySomethingNiceAboutCamden.org aims to tell those stories.
My grandparents raised my father and uncle in South Camden. I remember growing up the stories my grandmother would tell about how beautiful the city was, and how it was a neighborhood where residents relaxed on porch stoops during the hot summers and watched their kids play.
My grandparents also spent their careers working in the famous RCA building. I loved going to pick my grandmom up from work and seeing Nipper and his phonograph from Route 676.
Here are 5 great things I think are currently great about Camden:
- Susquehenna Bank Center. It’s proximity to the Delaware River and the Philadelphia skyline makes this concert venue the perfect backdrop for a show, especially during the warmer months. And the acoustics are amazing.
- The Victor’s Pub. Situated on the ground floor of the old RCA building, The Victor’s boasts fantastic food, amazing service, and a great view. I like the feeling of still being able to hang out where my grandparents made their living. The upper floors of The Victor’s have been turned into beautiful condos and lofts as well.
- The Battleship New Jersey. This legendary military vessel is a must see. I took my dad for Father’s Day and we had a wonderful afternoon along Camden’s Waterfront District.
- Rutgers University! I loved taking the Patco train over to visit friends while they were earning degrees there. The cafeteria is a great stop for a light and affordable lunch.
- Camden Riversharks Minor League Baseball/Adventure Aquarium. The ball park is fantastic! And for a family of four its an affordable outing. The aquarium has recently been privatized, and offers an amazing visit with fabulous sea creatures.
So, can you say something nice about Camden? Click here to tell your story!