Harry Connick Jr. Named to American Idol
When I saw Harry Connick Jr. in concert this past weekend at Revel in Atlantic City, I didn’t realize he was keeping such a big secret. Connick has been officially named as the third judge on American Idol.
Rumors were swirling late last week after Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry were feted with a party thrown by Idol head honcho Simon Fuller. Champagne was flowing but an announcement had yet to be made. But today Fox has confirmed Connick, who’s been a mentor several times on the veteran talent competition, will round out the judging table for AI‘s upcoming Season 13.
“I have always been a huge fan of American Idol and really enjoyed my time as a mentor on the show,” said Harry in a statement. “And I am honored that they’ve asked me to be a judge this season. As an entertainer, I am truly excited to bring my perspective to American Idol, and to help emerging performers find their way.”
5 Things to Know About Harry Connick Jr.:
1. His real first name is Joseph.
2. He is a singer, conductor, pianist, actor, and composer.
3. He’s ranked among the top 60 best-selling male artists in the United States.
4. He has earned more number-one albums than any other artist in the US jazz chart history.
5. Connick began his acting career as a tail gunner in the World War II film, Memphis Belle, in 1990, and has gone on to appear in films like Copycat, Independence Day, Hope Floats, and most recently on the TV series Law & Order: SVU.