Froyo, Alt-Right, and Pregame are Officially Real Words
Merriam-Webster has added new terms to it's dictionary, including "froyo", "alt-right", and "pregame".
This month 250 terms new terms and have become dictionary official. Here are some of the most notable words and their definitions:
- “alt-right”-- a right-wing, primarily online political movement or grouping based in the U.S. whose members reject mainstream conservative politics and espouse extremist beliefs and policies typically centered on ideas of white nationalism
- “bunny” -- an easy shot, like a lay up, taken close to the basket in basketball
- "onboarding" -- the act or process of orienting and training a new employee
- “froyo” – short for frozen yogurt
- “pregame” -- to begin drinking alcohol before an event or activity (such as a party or a night out)
- "schneid" -- a slang word that refers to a losing streak and has its origins in some German phrases disparaging tailors
- "hive mind" -- collective thoughts, ideas, and opinions of a group of people seeming to function as a single mind
Maybe 2018 will be the year I make 'ergamuffin' happen. That's the word I made up for when I make a mistake or something doesn't go my way. Pass it on, lol. Do you have a made up word? Let us know in the comment box below!
SOURCE: Merriam-Webster; Lifestyle Information Service
More from SoJO 104.9